Allah

Allah

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My Airport Experience

The last airport excursion I had was a flight to Chicago for the ISNA convention. It was not a happy experience for me. I was searched repeatedly and treated really junky. I felt like everyone was looking at me like I did not belong. I had never been treated like that before in an airport. I had even worn hijab previously while flying, and had NEVER been treated even similar. I thought about what variable had changed. I realized my previous two flights wearing hijab, I was wearing "American" or "Western" clothing. This last flight, I had thrown on an abaya for ease. This past weekend as I flew to Indiana, I wore more "Western" hijab. I was again treated well and was not patted down, other than a quick feel behind my scarf. I could not believe how differently I was treated. Coincidence? I think not. However, I will need to travel again to make sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment