Allah

Allah

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hijabi @ the Musuem

I got an internship over the winter at the Smithsonian Musuem of Natural History al hamdililah. I was a little worried about wearing my hijab, and what people would think about me. My first day was yesterday and no one said anything although I thought I detected a little surprise in the supervisor's face when she saw me. I got along with everyone very well though so I was happy. Today when I was in the cafeteria I had a women say salaams and speak arabic to me because I guess she assumed since I'm Muslim I'm fluent in Arabic. I answered her question in Arabic however because I understood kef halik, and we talked a bit. I then explained what happened to a few fellow interns and then I got a rush of questions about hijab and Islam. I guess they had been holding it in since seeing me. I was pleased to answer their questions and talk about Islam with them. One of the girls had some experience with Muslims because she was Ethiopian. The women that spoke Arabic to me was from Eritrea. One of the interns that I explained hijab to was a man. Later when I wasn't wearing my hijab in my office he came in without knocking. Realizing his mistake without me telling him, he proceeded to look away while talking to me. I thought that was very respectfuul and I thought he must have been paying attention to what I said about hijab. That made me feel great. Anyways that was my exprience today...May Allah bless you all.
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment