Allah

Allah

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Guest Question

Dear Guest,
I really appreciate your thought provoking questions because this is what this blog is about, exploring beliefs and discovering aspects of one's personal self. I am glad you read my article and enjoyed it, and I hope you find my answers satisfying. I also benefit from this because I am getting a chance to step back and analyze how far I have come, and what the next step is. Please feel free to continue our discussion. Here I go :)


What was the time frame from reading about the faith to your conversion?
I started researching Islam heavily about a year before my conversion. I wanted to be completely comfortable and have most details figured out before I took that step. I know myself and I can become quite anxious when change occurs. I did what I could to take small steps towards changing my life and took my time. Whenever I felt uncomfortable I would slow down. I also really became comfortable with the differences between culture and true Islam because many common beliefs about Islam are not true. I also spent the time introducing my family and friends to Islam and the fact that I could possibly be converting. I educated my parents along with myself, so their comfort level rose with mine. My parents know the basics of Islam and most of the details I have learned, as well as my personal opinions about the religion. Faith is an individual process. I encourage anyone that is scared or uncomfortable to simply research and take their time. As your relationship with God develops, so will your comfort level.

Did you take any classes in Islam/Islamic Culture before wearing the Hijab?
Before wearing hijab I did not take any Islam/culture classes. I actually have not taken any Islam classes at all...the history of Islam class in my previous college I actually did not finish(I withdrew from the college). I have been studying Arabic however, because it is more difficult to learn on your own. I have however researched heavily myself on Islam, and know where classes for new Muslims are held, and where Arabic classes are held so if anyone is interested , let me know and I can lead you in right direction( even online classes).Hijab is something I had always felt was going to be a part of my identity as a Muslimah. I was interested in it and it was something I wanted to do. If you do not burn inside to wear hijab, you shouldn't. I was burning inside, almost a kind of jealousy, when I saw Muslim women around campus. I had such a strong desire to wear my hijab that I only needed my roommate and friends to help me learn to wear it.


3. Do you feel that you had to change any views you had before due to your new faith (e.g. on issues like abortion etc)?
This is an AMAZING question! As for abortion, personally I ALWAYS had a problem with it so I am sticking with my opinion on that. What I am struggling with is the gay issue. I have numerous close male friends that are homosexual, and in Islam that is considered very wrong. I have love for these friends so I could never ever stop contact because of this but I do have some issues with other Muslims because of that. This is what I think : I have done bad stuff in my life, I have made mistakes, I am not perfect. NO ONE IS . EVERYONE HAS STRUGGLES, EVERYONE HAS PROBLEMS. I am human and I am NOT the judge of humans and their souls. I accept good people as my company, who challenge me to become better. People's relationships with God is personal and I cannot compare mine to any one's and think that I am better. As long as someone is not trying to get me to do anything that interferes with my religion, I don't really have a problem accepting their flaws, because they accept mine.

4. Are there any issues which you feel uncomfortable about with Islamic culture, compared to your Secular life before?"
Well there is a tendency in Islamic culture to be misogynistic which obviously, as an independent American lady, I have trouble with. However I really would like to stress the fact that this is TOTALLY culture and NOT religion. Nowhere in my religion does it allow men to treat women badly. In fact Islam was supposed to liberate Arabia of misogyny so...I don't know where all this came from.

The other thing that I do not like it the whole "men and women have NO contact" thing. Um....I'm pretty sure that in order to live my life to the fullest I need to have some contact with men. Certainly only decent contact is appropriate, but if I had to avoid 50% of the population, it would make my life very difficult. Islam is supposed to be easy and supposed to make your life easier. Hijab is mandated to make it easier for women to be around men without sparking their interest. If I'm wearing hijab,problem should be solved. However this is a cultural thing and a difference in opinion so I believe there are many Muslims opposed to this theory. All I know is my own opinion and what I am comfortable with. Islam is about what is in your heart and that is between you and God. I can only speak for myself.

I hope I have answered your questions sufficiently and I again thank you for your interest in my blog and life. May Allah bless you in your endeavors.
Salaam,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment