Allah

Allah

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Oh So Scary and Controversial Hijab

My mom is convinced that I have gone off the deep end although I thank God my parents have been way more supportive than most. She is constantly worried that I am getting into something because of the influence of others. I told her that as soon as I started praying in the Muslim fashion..all my prayers came true. I told her my anxiety level has dropped dramatically...I am so much happier...and I can talk to her until I am blue in the face...but I don't think she will accept this for awhile. Hijab scares her because of the images in the media. The "oppressed" women that so sharply contrast of her view of me. I try to tell her I feel comfortable when I am wearing hijab. I feel connected to other Muslims when I wear it. I am scared to wear it most to class and my hometown. Class because I am in a major that is very tiny and I think people would react differently to it...and ask me a lot of nosy questions. My parents and family would just make me feel uncomfortable. I wish that it was so easy for me to transition into a new life but I feel not that strong inside. I wish I could have the inner strength to just change my life and not care what people think. But ever since I changed my facebook to say Muslim and my pics to only hijabi photos...I have been getting texts, messages, emails and phone calls asking me about this change. I know that it is an important thing for me to do but I just wish it was not so difficult for me. Has anyone ever felt the same way? Any starter hijab stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment