Allah

Allah

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Adventures in Alexandria

Yesterday I took the liberty of exploring Alexandria. I found some truly wonderful things so I decided to share them with you.

Whole Foods- Had never been into a Whole Foods before (I know I'm so behind on the times). It was AMAZING! I had their breakfast bar (not bad at $6.99 a pound). I had the french toast, chicken sausage, and fried plantains. YUM!!!!!! While exploring I smelled a delightful coffee smell wafting from the grinder. I commented on this to the lady grinding the coffee, and she started raving about how great it was. It turned out to be a local roaster and she directed me about 5 blocks east. So my adventure started......

I set off walking towards the coffee shop, the sun was shining and I was very happy to be outside. I was wearing my matching hot pink hijab/sneakers so I was in a great mood! (bright colors make me so happy).

Eventually I wondered far enough to find Misha's......I tried a small coffee, and was instantly in love. I bought a half a pound of their Route 66 blend, and 1/2 a pound of their Yemen blend. I am actually drinking the coffee as I write this, I brewed it myself. The staff was extremely friendly and I really enjoyed chatting with them. Their beans are extremely aromatic, and slightly oily, which leads to GREAT flavor. You can get them ground if you want, although I suggest grinding them yourself if you can to retain the flavor longer. You can get directions and check out their shop at Misha's.

After purchasing my coffee I set out in the direction of King Street towards downtown. I came across more lovely shops, but the ones that stood out were Ten Thousand Villages. It is a fair trade shop that is a great store for making a difference. By shopping and buying their wonderfully unique hand crafted items, one is making a difference in someone's life. For more info TenThousandVillages.

I bought treats for my cat from this delightful pet bakery/shop...owner is extremly helpful and nice along with the staff.....Chateau Animaux.
Located at

101 South Saint Asaph StreetAlexandria, VA 22314-3123 (703) 518-5188

My next stop of the day was my favorite which ended in me ordering furniture for my apartment. I had visited countless furniture stores during the day and all were overpriced or ugly. I finally walked into a store in which every piece is like a work of art. Although his pieces aren't cheap, they are not overpriced, and beautifully handcrafted original furniture. It is located at Javawood
5601 General Washington Drive
Alexandria, VA 22312-2403

The owner is a very friendly man who loves to sell to people who love the furniture. He will also engage you in conversation. His name is Nico, and I will be buying plenty more furniture from him in the future insha'Allah.

I will be exploring more in the future so more to come insha'Allah. Thanks everyone for reading...Salaam wa alaikum...

No comments:

Post a Comment