Allah

Allah

Friday, April 23, 2010

Work Environment

There are people at my job that are just ridiculous. Every day I get asked things about being a muslim. Al hamdulillah, at least they are asking me to my face and not talking about me behind my back...but it is getting really annoying. Everyday someone asks me " Does it get hot in there?" talking about my hijab...or why do you wear that or "do you get hassled?". I feel so ostracized. I know it is with pure intentions and these people are just curious but it really makes me feel different. The people that are my age don't even talk to me like a normal human being. I guess it is because they are in the drinking stages of life...and the dating stages of life...the misunderstanding other cultures/religions stage of life. I feel like they think I don't enjoy my life...or have any fun....or that I'm naive or stupid and don't know what they know......

AH! Well at least some people here are respectful...there is one guy here that is very educated about Muslims...he isn't one but at least he is familiar....of course everyone else in the office does not like him...for SOME reason....

I also get asked a lot..."If your hair is nice...why do you cover it...why don't you let everyone see it.." ...because they don't deserve to see it! And I do not need to prove my beauty to anyone else!

Why is my worth in the work placed based on whether or not I'm beautiful or not...or what my hair looks like......or whether or not I have hair...


Why am I treated like a different kind of human being because of the clothes I wear???? Because I don't show skin? Because my cleavage isn't hanging out for all to see????

Why do people see these things as a sum of who I am...


and even if they do...why do they view modesty as a bad thing? Shouldn't they view me as a BETTER person...?

Does anyone else have work related issues like this???

2 comments:

  1. They see you as different...take that as a good thing. Everyone is always trying to be different competing with their outer looks, and they all end up looking the exact same. :p You are unique and different in a good way, where people will respect you for who you are. There's nothing wrong with being different, as Muslims we ARE different, that's the main point of being Muslim we're aware and try not to fall into mainstream traps (such as drinking is normal, dating is normal, being showcased as a piece of meat is normal). We are cognizant of our surroundings, and act upon them the intelligent way.

    Also, just remember you are getting enormous amounts of hasanat for each time someone sees you with hijab, and for each time people ask you these questions. I personally think they are asking them out of pure curiosity and not to make fun of you in anyway.

    And just an FYI, the corporate world (or specifically corporate America) is SOOO ANNOYING PERIOD. There's so much gossip all around you, everyone is hooking up and cheating with someone else, and the women at work are competing at who can look the best. At least that is just out of my personal experience.

    Good Luck with everything! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all...thank you for reading my blog and responding. It helps to know there are Muslims out there supporting me! Yeah the working world is very tough for muslim women....I really wish that I could stay at home sometimes!!!! Maybe I will be able to someday insha'Allah....I pray that these people, even if it is only one, will open their hearts to Islam because of the questions I answer....Thanks again for commenting it means a lot to me.

    Salaam,



    Katie

    ReplyDelete